Tags: care, dead, doulas, drugs, friend, health, hubby, lives, medications, midwives, posting, rural, salem, scio, stayton

Midwives/Doulas near Salem or Stayton - please help

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Health Care

5,006 words with 9 Comments; publish: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:19:00 GMT; (90046.88, « »)

Hi everyone - I'm posting for a good friend who lives very rural - in Scio, OR, which is 1/2 hour from Salem. Her hubby is dead set against a homebirth. She's looking for other more natural type birth options in her area, and has heard good things about Stayton Hospital - midwife-friendly and more "old-fashioned" (in a good way) style. She's heard bad things about Salem hospital. She'd prefer a midwife/doula situation in a non-hospital setting, but feels the two closest birth centers are still too far away for her to feel comfortable with. Anyone want to chime in here?

Thanks a million!! :wink

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 9 Comments
    • its her vagina, and she will be birthing NOT her husband.

if she wants a homebirth talking to our local midwife extraordinaire might be beneficial.

(thats pamamidwife for those not in the know)

#1; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:28:00 GMT
    • its her vagina, and she will be birthing NOT her husband.

(thats pamamidwife for those not in the know)

While this is true, having gone through a birth center birth myself, I know the importance of both mama and dad being comfortable with and psychologically prepared for the birth situation. If she's home birthing and he's a nervous wreck, that could lead to trouble. They're trying to find a good, healthy compromise. I'm working to help them with that. Thanks for your input!

#2; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:29:00 GMT
    • Pamela Hines is a great local midwife. I know she would go out to that area as she goes out further.

She's been a friend for years and was the midwife at my last birth.

She is also great at calming nervous partners.

#3; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:30:00 GMT
    • and nervous family members like grandmothers :D
      #4; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:31:00 GMT
    • yeah, I'm around, definitely. Stayton Hosp and Silverton Hosp are much better than Salem Hospital, but they're not "birth centers". Even then, nearly all birth centers (freestanding, not what they call "birth centers" in the hospital) are run by homebirth midwives in the state of Oregon. So with freestanding birth centers, the only thing that makes them different than a homebirth is that you have to drive in labor, you're exposed to other people's germs, and you have to pack up your newborn and drive right after the birth. What we bring to the birth - home or birth center - is the same.

So, there's that. If I were to go with Stayton, I'd go with Patty Sherman who is a CNM that works with Dr Yeager. At Silverton, I don't know enough about the providers to suggest anyone.

I really recommend making appts to talk to EVERYONE in the area - with her partner. It's the only way to feel like you're getting the care you want.

#5; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:32:00 GMT

Thank you for your information! Very helpful. I'll pm you if she wants to talk further. I really appreciate your reply.

~OA

#6; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:33:00 GMT
    • Sometimes just being somewhere else is what the nervous partner needs. This free-standing BC is on the NW edge of Salem and Hopewell.

Bella Vie Gentle Birth Center

13160 Jerusalem Hill Road NW

Salem, Oregon 97304 503-315-BABY

www.gentlebirthcenter.com

#7; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:34:00 GMT
    • As for doulas, she can check out Salem Doulas (http://www.salemdoulas.com/). I'm also a member of this group, though my info is currently missing. My site (http://www.blossominbirth.com/) has my contact info.
      #8; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:35:00 GMT
    • Has she checked out Andaluz (http://www.waterbirth.net/) in Tualatin? It's just off I-5 - you can see it from the highway. It's like having a homebirth in a relaxing peaceful B&B. (But she doesn't have to tell her DH that. :wink ) It's across the street from (but not affiliated with) a big hospital, which her DH might find comforting.

It's a 35 minute drive from Silverton where I live, so that might be too far for her comfort if she has fast labors... I don't have that problem. :lol

If she's having a VBAC, might want to warn her that it's nearly impossible in the hospitals in this area.

#9; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:36:00 GMT