Tags: 3yo, adenoids, almost-three-year-old, apnea, care, drugs, enlarged, health, medications, ped, territory, tonsils, unfamiliar, wanna

3yo w/ apnea, enlarged adenoids, tonsils ... help please!

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Health Care

8,083 words with 8 Comments; publish: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:37:00 GMT; (90078.13, « »)

so i took z, my almost-three-year-old to the ped yesterday, and now we're in unfamiliar territory ... so, anyone wanna talk to me about "generous" tonsils ("3" on a scale of "1-2-3-kissing"?) and enlarged adenoids ... (all quotes from pediatrician today) ... and nasonex, and claritin, and benadryl, and z being on all three of them.

i've got z the first available ENT appt based on our ped's rec, which he essentially said the minute he started talking to z and heard his voice and cough and such. my dad is a surgeon, and i understand ENTs are going to recommend surgery, too ... and i know there must be other options, right?

oh, and what do i need to know about sleep apnea, too. my ped seems particularly panicked about this, so should i panic, too? i asked him why tonsils & adenoids get enlarged, and he (honestly, uncharacteristically for him) gave me a quick, "it happens, they probably need to come out" answer, with which i am completely unsatisfied.

please tell me anything and everything i need to know, i guess. assume i know nothing. or point me toward some info, if you can? going to start my googling now, too.

thank you!

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 8 Comments
    • :lurk:

Sorry- not much to add. My two oldest went through the same thing. Kissing tonsils- according to the doc some of the largest he had ever seen. It was to the point where they couldn't eat anything that wasn't liquidWent through the bouts of anitbiotics and nothing worked. We even got rid of our cats thinking it might be something allergic. The doc was also worried about sleep apnea- the way I took it is they stop breathing in the middle of their sleep, mostly due to the fact that they are laying down and there isn't much room for air to get through. Usually it is only momentarily, but I have heard that it can be longer. My son had it worse where he would make this terrible snorting sound in the middle of the night. So we were very worried. They both had them removed (tonsils and adenoids) when ds was 3ys 2 mos and dd was 6 ys. Just about simultaneously.

It wasn't terrible since they could eat and breath again! I was able to be with them in right before and all through recovery. But if there are other options I would love to hear about them for my other kiddos.

It is such an accepted surgical procedure for these little ones and I couldn't find any other options.

This was 5 years ago and I still haven't run across any other options.

I am very open to learning more about this as well! So I will lurk and learn!

#1; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:11:00 GMT
    • Elimate dairy products.
      #2; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:12:00 GMT
    • NAK

We are in the same boat w/my 18m old. Doesn't eat much, besides liquids, and is up all night nursing due to the apnea. I have an appt w/an ENT in August!!! (Great ped ENT .healthcare.todaysummary.com. a children's hospital). I'm thinking surgery is what we'll have to do :(

And, we have been off cow dairy for 4 yrs, just started 30 hr goat yogurt a couple of months ago--no change--issues have been present since birth.

#3; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:13:00 GMT
    • DD had sleep apnea due to enlarged adenoids. She snored all the time and did not sleep well at all. Post adenoid removal she sleeps like a rock and no longer has chronic runny noses and colds! Best thing we ever did even though I was a nervous wreck through the whole thing!
      #5; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:15:00 GMT
    • so, anyone wanna talk to me about "generous" tonsils ("3" on a scale of "1-2-3-kissing"?) and enlarged adenoids ... (all quotes from pediatrician today) ... and nasonex, and claritin, and benadryl, and z being on all three of them.

My DD had her tonsils & adenoids removed when she was eight; they were so large, she was having episodes of apnea. She started snoring deeply at age three, and our (very non-invasive, I love him) ENT encouraged us to wait and see if she'd "grow into them" - but the apnea (and the fact that she was always exhausted and miserable from the all-night sleep interruption) was the dealbreaker.

I'm assuming that z has allergies, being on the meds you mentioned - I don't know much about them and how they affect tonsils and adenoids.

If you are lucky enough to find a really good ENT like we have, s/he might not recommend surgery right away - esp cosidering the fact that z is younger and may outgrow the problem. However, the apnea is a problem and something you can't let go on for long.

Peds aren't ENTs. It's been my experience that peds actually know very little about chronic ear, nose, and throat issues (among other things :eyesroll ). Our ped was insisting that our son needed ear tubes, and the ENT said he was almost certain DS would outgrow his problem and wouldn't need surgery. He was right.

The problem with sleep apnea is that it deprives your brain of oxygen when you are breathing slowly and deeply; and it is interrupting your sleep repeatedly so that you cannot get proper rest. Over a long period of time, this can cause health problems and affects personality.

With each apnea event, the brain briefly arouses people with sleep apnea in order for them to resume breathing, but consequently sleep is extremely fragmented and of poor quality.

...

Untreated, sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and other cardiovascular disease, memory problems, weight gain, impotency, and headaches. Moreover, untreated sleep apnea may be responsible for job impairment and motor vehicle crashes.

My normally sunny daughter was snarling MISERABLE every single morning after she developed apnea. I don't know how she managed as well as she did, in school. She was exhausted all the time, and her snoring kept us all awake at night. When I finally noticed that she was having periods of not breathing every night, I called the ENT; and he said, "It's time for everything to come out. We don't mess with apnea."

That was four years ago, and she was a new person almost immediately. No more snoring, no more apnea, and the change in her temperament was drastic.

It's a tough decision. I suggest that if you don't like the ENT, see another one - there's certainly plenty of them out there and some are more surgically invasive than others. Best wishes.

#6; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:16:00 GMT
    • --issues have been present since birth.

Amy,

I have also seen this correlated with vit. A deficiency. The tissue grows large to genetic potential but the bones in the face are not (much like our previous discussion with respect to narrow nostrils/bumps on noses).

#7; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:17:00 GMT
    • I didn't read any of the replies, so I apoligize if I repeat.

My daughter had VERY large tonsils, and a small throat. She had her tonsils and adnoids out by 11 months old.

Her issues with this were very serious. In six months, she was in ICU three times for a blocked airway. She was a very sick child.

Having those out was the best thing I have ever done. The sleep we got after that!!!!! Her whole personality changed! She was no longer moody and frustrated, she was a whole new person.

I am not reccomending you do this without REALLLLLLLLY researching it. I went ahead with it, out of fear. I was terrified that one night I wouldn't wake up while she was struggling to breath. I just wanted it to end. Every time she got a tiny cold, her tonsils would close off her throat. It was truly something she needed to have done. I didn't even look into it first, the doctor said, "Well, we need to take these out" and I said "WHEN??"

#8; Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:18:00 GMT